Friday, January 19, 2018

UNCG Summer Camp, and our Fundraiser

Dear band parents,

     I hope everyone is safe and enjoying their third winter break from school.  I wanted to bring two important things to your attention:

1.  Registration for the UNC-Greensboro Summer Music Camp will be open in two weeks.  Here is the website:  https://www.smcamp.org/
     Last year, we had several of our students attend this camp and they had an incredible experience.  I went when I was a kid, too, and I got so much out of it that I later decided to go to UNCG to get my music education degree.  I highly, highly recommend it.  And no, the dates do not conflict with SGHS marching band.  See that website for more details.
     This is the most popular summer music camp in the entire country.  Kids come from all over the country just to be a part of it, and we are fortunate enough to have it one hour away.  Spots do fill up quickly, so jump on the registration on the day it is available.

2.  As I mentioned in my weekly email, we have begun our Donations Drive Fundraiser.  Thank you for contributing whatever you can.  Just to give you an idea of where this money will go, I found these shelving units that will solve our current instrument storage problem:  HDX Shelves 
     Right now, we have plenty of storage units for smaller instruments like flutes, clarinets, and trumpets.  But we do not have enough for larger instruments like saxophones, trombones, bass clarinets, and baritones.  It's a great problem to have:  we have so many kids in band that we don't have shelves for everyone's instrument!  But, it means we have piles of large instruments just on the floor.  This looks bad, and really it's also a safety hazard.  
     This is just one of the things we can do with a little financial support.  Our most expensive need is a new set of timpani drums.  Ours are decades old and no longer function mechanically.  These drums are up to $2149, depending on the size, and we need two of them. 
     That's all to say, thank you for doing whatever you can with this fundraiser.  You are making our band program even better.  JD