Sunday, September 10, 2017

This Week In Band - 09/10/2017

Dear band parents,

     This is Justin Dickson, band director at Hawley Middle School.  Every week I will send out a message like this to communicate what is happening this week in band class, upcoming events, and other announcements.


8TH GRADE BAND TO PLAY THIS SATURDAY! AT CREEDMOOR MUSIC FESTIVAL 
     The Mayor of Creedmoor personally asked me to bring our band to the Creedmoor Music Festival on Saturday, September 16 (this Saturday).  Please return the permission form to me this week.  If you need the information paper again, you can view it here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G7obWH0P762ElLXvBPfD8_02d63_GC-pTlXtxlCuRE8/edit?usp=sharing
     Parents, we need every member of the band participating, if possible.  This is our chance to show off our band program to hundreds of music lovers in the Creedmoor community, most of whom have never heard us play before.  I really want us to sound and look our best.  Thank you!!!


PLEASE ENCOURAGE YOUR CHILD TO PRACTICE REGULARLY AT HOME
     I have been playing the trumpet for 24 years.  I am playing publicly at church this morning.  I still have to practice every day or I get worse.  
     But to be honest, I did not want to practice (or do any homework) when I was in middle school.  My parents made me do it.  And I got better.  And the better I got, the more I liked it. 
     Learning to play a musical instrument is complicated.  Regular practice (study) outside of class is essential.  Please encourage your child to practice at home every day they can.  20-30 minutes is fine for middle school.  
     What can they practice?  Everything we have been playing in class -- review it, make sure you can play it well and consistently.  Look ahead to material on my website (Fundamentals and Method pages) or the concert music.  Look for fun / pop songs to play on my website (Fun Songs page), on NoteFlight.com, on 8Notes.com, or on Youtube.
     The more you practice, the easier it gets.


FLUTES, CLARINETS, AND SAXOPHONES NEED A SWAB
     If your child plays a woodwind instrument (flute, clarinet, or saxophone), they need a swab so they can clean out their instrument every day before putting it back in the case.  You can order one from Hills Music Shop if you do not have one.
     If woodwinds are stored in the case without swabbing, moisture causes the pads under the keys to wrinkle and be ruined.  This costs $100-200 to fix, depending on the extent of the damage.  A swab costs $5.  Please make sure your child has a swab.


BAND SHIRT ORDER
     This week I will hand out order forms for our band t-shirts and sweatshirts.  These are just for fun, not a required purchase, except 8th graders are required to have a t-shirt for our Carowinds trip.  You may also print the order form from the Documents page on my website:
http://justindickson.com/justindickson/band/documents.htm


IN THE BAND ROOM THIS WEEK
     6th graders will continue to learn their first three notes this week, in Chapter 1 of our "Method" online at www.JustinDickson.com/Band.  Our first test will be line #1.02.  I will be checking for right notes, correct articulation, and a steady beat.  

     7th grade has already started working on Chapter 11, focusing on dynamics.  #11.04 will be our next test.  We will also continue learning our new "Fundamentals For 7th Grade Band".  

     8th grade will have a very busy week.  We will continue learning our music for the October concert, and we will test on it next week.  We will also prepare our music for the Creedmoor Music Festival.  Time is not our friend, the more everyone practices at home, the more music we will be able to perform at our October concert.  I want to do 4 new pieces at that concert.  Go go!


PEP BAND
     Practice Wednesday after school, parents can pick you up at 5:00 at the front of the school.  Our first game is next week.